Thursday, April 22, 2010

So far so good!

Hi Everyone - hope you're all doing okay. It was a beautiful day today. That could have something to do with the Canucks evening up their playoff series with the LA Kings. Last night's game was a little tense to say the least. But in the end the Canucks managed to kill off a couple of penalties and the twins were able to do what the twins do best - score. I'm now anxiously awaiting game number five on Friday night. Back on home soil and back in our winning building. I have my toes crossed that the boys can pull off a win. But that will have to wait until tomorrow.

So today was pretty much spent looking for a new job. It's been a little tough as of late. There just isn't a whole lot out there for a gal with a writing background and some advertising experience. I've applied for a few and I'm deeply hoping for a few more postings to pop up in the next few days. In the meantime I've been doing a hell of a lot of walking. Today I spent about two hours trolling around. It's amazing to see all the cherry blossoms falling from the trees. The ground is alive with the colour pink! It's quite incredible to just stop and watch the blossoms fall to the ground. So peaceful and so beautiful. I found a wonderful new park where I could probably do a lap or two if I finally get out there and do some jogging. The walking has been easy but jogging not so much. I find myself wanting to go on long treks rather than short speedy bursts. Perhaps I need to balance both in the coming weeks.

I've also been doing some experimenting in the kitchen. We've got this uber awesome new KitchenAid 12 cup food processor and I've been having fun getting to know its uses. Today I made a lovely zucchini hummus. No chick peas required. It's smooth, rich and not at all heavy like a chickpea version. It's a favorite in my raw arsenal of recipes. After all - raw food is living food and good for the soul. Here's the recipe if you want to make it yourself. Zucchini can be a little bit watery so I've also added a tsp of xanthan gum to my recipe to reduce water separation. You can get xanthan gum at any health food store. If you want to learn more about this crazy food binder click here.

Zucchini Hummus

2 medium sized zucchinis peeled and cut into chunks
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup of raw tahini
1/4 cup of olive oil and a splash of flax oil (optional but I like the taste)
1 tsp of ground cumin seeds
1 big clove or 2 small cloves of garlic
1 tsp of xanthan gum (optional - helps prevent separation)
1 tsp of salt and a dash of pepper
small bunch of dill or parsley (optional)

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

So simple and so tasty. I like to serve this with my raw falafel balls. Hmm, maybe I'll post that recipe soon as well.

Happy Earth Day everyone. Remember to get out there and appreciate the beautiful planet we live on.

No comments: